Saturday, November 7, 2009

Reflection on Oral Presentation

In this reflection, I would like to thank my teammates first. Thank you so much for the supports and encouragement, and thank you for bearing my poor English. :p

For the team performance, I believe our content was relevant, clear and concise. We had quite creative approach, and I think our presentation was quite well structured. Overall, I am satisfied with our work. However, there are still certain parts we could do better. For example, we could assign someone to conduct the Q&A session beforehand so that it would be more organized. Moreover, our PowerPoint slides looked less professional compared to other groups’. Maybe we should have spent more time on it so that our presentation would be more appealing.

For my individual performance, I personally feel that I did not present as well as I did during my peer teaching. Maybe because I was not fully prepared, which made me feel less confident. During the Q & A session, I think I failed to organize my thoughts and express my ideas clearly, which I believe made “professors” a bit confused. I did have some hand gestures, which was an improvement from my peer teaching. However, I still believe it could be further improved, like I should have made some movement during the presentation. In addition, there was also some feedback from my peer teaching saying that I spoke too fast and failed to project my voice. I paid attention to these problems this time, I hope I did improve a bit.

I do think the presentation opportunities from this module have boosted my confidence in presenting ideas in public. I used to scare of presentation, but now I believe I am also capable of delivering my ideas and convincing the audience. Nevertheless, there are still a lot of presentation skills I have to learn and practice. I will try to seize every opportunity in the future to improve my presentation skills. J

6 comments:

  1. Dear Xiaoyu

    I think you were very honest with your reflection. You identified your "mistakes" and appear very enthusiastic about learning from them.

    Personally, you did a good job and I believe you were one of the strongest in your team: very confident and have a good understanding of what the project entails (as seen in your Q&A). Your introduction was clear, you brought out the problem statement effectively and I do not believe you spoke too fast at all. And I personally liked how to mainatained good eye contact with the audience and the panel.

    I have a few suggestions you may want to consider. In the Q&A, you were a littel anxious and as a result the points you wanted to put across may not have come out as strongly. I understand it is difficult in those conditions (I faced the same problem too!), so maybe you may want to repeat the question of the panel first, thus giving yourself time to recollect your thoughts before you answer the question. And also, there were certain aspects of the presentation when you needed to stress important details, and it would have been good if you had done so-just to highlight the emphasis of your point!

    As for the team on a whole, did your group synchronize the attire coordination for the day? This is a really minor point, but it'll be good if that was taken into account as it usually reflects the unity of the team.

    But otherwise you did a commendable job, and I believe this will help you (the statistics major!) garner the essential presentation skills necessary when you enter CitiBank! All the best to your future endeavours after graduation.

    Best,
    Prashant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xiaoyu,
    I think you have done a great job Last Monday.
    I agree with Prashant that you are one of the strongest in your team. Your creative approach slides have cleared my doubts easily. Moreover, you have slowed down a lot compared with your peer teaching. Good job!

    I agree with your reflection that you could move around a bit during the presentation. That's a part I need to improve on too. :)

    Regards,
    Danhua

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Xiaoyu,

    I really enjoyed your speech delivery! The deepest impression that you left in me was your smiles throughout the presentation, and also your pleasant voice. It was really refreshing to hear you speak! Being the first speaker of your team (and the class), I think you have done a great job in presenting your ideas. You appeared confident and clear in what you were trying to express. Your intonation was good too, but it would be nice if you can stress more on the key words to better bring across your message.

    Nevertheless, it was a wonderful presentation!

    Cheers,
    Chai Yee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear xiaoyu,

    I thought your presentation was quite well done. I liked your relaxed gesture and style of speaking.

    Although you seemed slightly more nervous this time round, I thought you still manage to bring forth your message effectively to the audience. In addition, I thought there was effective use of words and gestures which really helped to bring out the flow of the content. I think your voice speed and voice projection are just nice this time round too, good job.

    Generally, I thought the presentation was quite nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Xiao Yu,

    I must congratulate you and your group on a job well-done. I was really impressed with the nerves of steel you and your group showed. I felt it was truly brave of you to be the first speaker of your group and class.

    I agree that your group’s presentation was well structured and organised. It was apparent that you were familiar with your content and you were able to deliver your points confidently. I could not tell you were nervous at all, and if you were, you concealed it really well.
    However you may want to vary your tone a little more and have pauses to allow the audience to digest your words. Although your pace of delivery was fine, having those pauses will certainly help.
    I hope that helps.

    Warmest regards,

    Zhengyang.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ppl,

    Thank you so much for your encouragement and suggestions. I agree with Prashant that our team should be more professional in dressing. And I really like your suggestions on Q&A session. I also agree with Chai Yee and Zhengyang that I should stress more on the key words and pause more between points. I'll try to improve it in my future presentations.

    Thanks so much!

    Xiaoyu

    ReplyDelete